Study Abroad Information for Natural Sciences

Click Here to Visit the UC Merced Study Abroad Website


In preparation for your time abroad, you should:

  • Meet with the UC Merced Education Abroad Office (as soon as possible) to discuss your program options and requirements.
  • Make an appointment with your advisor for a Study Abroad advising meeting as early as possible, but at least one month prior to your application deadline.

In preparation for a Study Abroad advising meeting, students should:

  • Gather program and course description information for 4-6 potential courses that may be completed abroad (depending on program length).
  • Complete the Academic Planning forms required for their specific application.
  • Review the list of previously reviewed EAP courses to assist you in course selection. Be aware that enrollment approval is at the discretion of the host institution. 

At the meeting, student and advisor will discuss:

  • Student progress in their academic program and the effects of Study Abroad participation (if any) including issues with residency and application for graduation.
  • Application of proposed courses to their academic program.

Approval for Courses Taken Abroad

The School of Natural Sciences does not pre-approve Study Abroad courses. However, students seeking to complete requirements in their major, minor or general education must schedule a meeting with their academic advisor at least one month prior to application due dates to review their academic progress and discuss strategies for course selection while abroad. This cannot be done on a walk-in basis. Because Study Abroad applications are often due at very busy times during the semester, students are encouraged to plan ahead and make advising appointments early.

Once abroad…

Compile course materials for the courses you wish to receive major, minor or general education credit. To receive the most accurate advising for the next term’s registration, students are encouraged to contact their advisor with their in progress Study Abroad coursework. Though this review does not constitute course approval, it should give both you and your advisor a good idea of what courses you will still have outstanding.

To get a head start NS Advising recommends that you submit all course syllabi for the courses that you have registered for via the Course Approval Form.

When you return to campus...

Submit courses for major, minor or general education approval. Along with a Course Approval Form, you should be prepared to submit the following:

  • A syllabus in English. If translated from another language, attach the original to the English translation. Syllabi should include a description and summary of the course, required texts and readings and a week by week course outline.
  • Additional materials including papers and reading lists (only if requested).

Please be advised that final approval is contingent on confirmation of unit values and final grades; this will occur once your transcripts have been received by the UC Merced Office of the Registrar. Courses completed abroad are subject to applicable School and University policies. For more information, contact your academic advisor.

top of page